Hi thanks for visiting this morning/afternoon/evening. Christmas songs in the 70s were a big thing in the UK and it was always a bit of a battle for that coveted number 1 slot for Christmas.
Some of the biggest bands of that era were bringing out Christmas singles and below are my personal top 10 favourites. Yours may be different of course but we all have our own opinion. Add a comment below of your personal favourite if I have missed it out.
My Top 10 Christmas Songs In The 70s
The list below is in no particular order. I hope your favourite is in here.
- Happy Xmas (War Is Over) John and Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir (1972) (4)
- Wonderful Christmastime – Paul McCartney (1979) (6)
- Step Into Christmas – Elton John (1973) (24)
- Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade (1973) (1)
- Lonely This Christmas – Mud (1974) (1)
- In Dulci Jubilo – Mike Oldfield (1975) (4)
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday – Wizzard (1973) (4)
- Hey Mr Christmas – Showaddywaddy (1974) (13)
- Christmas Song – Gilbert O’Sullivan (1974) (12)
- I Believe In Father Christmas – Greg Lake (1975) (2)
Other Christmas Songs In The 70s
There are many other acts that had Christmas singles in the charts in the UK during the 70s. Here are a list of some of them.
- It’s Gonna Be A Cold Cold Christmas – Dana (1975) (4)
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby (1977) (5)
- Mary’s Boy Child/Oh My Lord – Boney M (1978) (1)
- When A Child Is Born – Johnny Mathis (1976) (1)
- Wombling Merry Christmas (1974) (2)
- Bionic Santa – Chris Hill (1976) (10)
- Christmas In Dreadland – Judge Dread (1975) (14)
- Christmas In Smurfland (1978) (19)
- Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me – The Goodies (1974) (7)
- Make A Daft Noise For Christmas – The Goodies (1975) (20)
Christmas Number 1 Songs In The 70s
Below is a list of the songs that were number one at Christmas in the UK. As you will see not all of them were very festive.
- I Hear You Knockin’ – Dave Edmunds (1970)
- Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West – Benny Hill (1971)
- Long Haired Lover From Liverpool – Little Jimmy Osmond (1972)
- Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade (1973)
- Lonely This Christmas – Mud (1974)
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen (1975)
- When A Child Is Born – Johnny Mathis (1976)
- Mull Of Kintyre/Girls’ Talk – Wings (1977)
- Mary’s Boy Child/Oh My Lord – Boney M (1978)
- Another Brick In The Wall (Part ll) – Pink Floyd (1979)
Christmas Songs In The 80s
Of course there were a lot of great Christmas songs in the 1980s too. Here are a few of my personal favourites.
- Santa Claus Is Coming To Town/ My Hometown – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (1985) (9)
- Driving Home For Christmas – Chris Rea
- Last Christmas – Wham (1984) (2)
- Do They Know It’s Christmas – Live Aid (1984) (1)
- Stop The Cavalry – Jona Lewie (1980) (3)
- Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy – Bing Crosby and David Bowie (1982) (3)
- Fairytale Of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty Mcall (1987) (2)
- 2000 Miles – The Pretenders (1983)
- Thank God It’s Christmas – Queen (1984)
- The Power Of Love – Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1984) (1)
- Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin Stevens (1985) (1)
- Mistletoe and Wine – Cliff Richard (1988) (1)
There are Amazon affiliate links in this post, if you click the link and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See full disclosure
As we all know Christmas 2020 is going to be a bit different from all the previous years. As long as we can still be with our family keeping safe of course and listen to all the old hits it can still be a great time. I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks for visiting today and please come back again as I build up the site in the coming months.
Leave a comment below if you liked the content of this post. Comments help the site climb up the rankings in the search engines. Maybe leave me a comment as a Christmas present:)