Abba first appeared in the UK chart in 1973 with a minor hit with Ring Ring but they became chart toppers after winning the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974 with Waterloo, they went on to have 9 number one singles in the UK. In this post I will list all the Abba songs that made the top 40 here in the UK, I will also give a bit of the history of the band. Enjoy
Abba are a Swedish pop group who formed in 1972 in Stockholm. In case, you didn’t know the band name came from the first initial of each of the members. Agnetha Faltskog (born on the 5th of April 1950), Bjorn Ulvaeus (born on the 25th April 1945), Benny Andersson (born on the 16th December 1946) and Anni-Frid Lyngstad (born on the 15th November 1945).
The band consisted of two married couples, Agnetha and Bjorn and Anni-Frid and Benny. When their popularity increased it affected their relationships and both marriages collapsed.
They disbanded in 1993, after which Bjorn and Benny had success writing music for the stage. The girls had mixed results as solo artists.
In 1999 Abba’s music was adapted for the stage, and the musical Mamma Mia! was born, it toured worldwide and was a great success. In 2008 a film of the same name was released with Meryll Streep in the lead role. It became the highest grossing film of the year in the UK. A sequel Mamma Mia! Here we Go Again was released in 2018.
It is estimated that ABBA sold over 380 million records.
ABBA – The Singles
Here is a list of Abba songs that made the top 40 in the UK. I will name song, year released and chart position reached in the UK and if applicable the US.
- Ring Ring (1973) (32)
- Waterloo (1974) (1) (6)
- I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do (1975) (38) (15)
- SOS (1975) (6) (15)
- Mama Mia (1975) (1) (32)
- Fernando (1976) (1) (13)
- Dancing Queen (1976) (1) (1)
- Money, Money, Money (1976) (3) (56)
- Knowing Me, Knowing You (1977) (1) (14)
- The Name Of The Game (1977) (1) (12)
- Take A Chance On Me (1978) (1) (3)
- Summer Night City (1978) (5)
- Chiquitita (1979) (2) (29)
- Does Your Mother Know (1979) (4) (19)
- Voulez-Vous (1979) (3) (80)
- Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight) (1979) (3)
- I Have A Dream (1979) (2)
- The Winner Takes It All (1980) (1) (8)
- Super Trouper (1980) (1) (45)
- Lay All Your Love On Me (1981) (7)
- One Of Us (1981) (3) (107)
- Head Over Heels (1982) (25)
- The Day Before You Came (1982) (32)
- Under Attack (1983) (26)
- Thank You For The Music (1983) (33)
ABBA – Studio Albums
Abba had 7 studio albums that made it to the top 30 in the UK. I will name song, year released and chart position reached in the UK and if applicable the US
- Waterloo (1974) (28) (145)
- ABBA (1975) (13) (174)
- Arrival (1976) (1) (20)
- ABBA: The Album (1977) (1) (14)
- Voulez-Vous (1979) (1) (19)
- Super Trouper (1980) (1) (17)
- The Visitors (1981) (1) (29)
ABBA – Greatest Hits
ABBA also had 9 greatest hits albums that made the top 20 in the UK. As usual, I will name the album, year released and chart position reached in the UK and if applicable the US.
- Greatest Hits (1975) (1) (48)
- Greatest Hits Vol.2 (1) (46)
- The Singles:The First Ten Years (1982) (1) (62)
- Thank You For The Music (1983) (17)
- Gold: Greatest Hits (1992) (1) (25)
- More ABBA Gold: More ABBA Hits (1993) (13)
- The Definitive Collection (2001) (17) (186)
- 18 Hits (2005) (15)
- Number Ones (2006) (15)
The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame
ABBA were inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame in 2010.
There are affiliate links in this post, if you click the link and make a purchase i will make a commission. See full disclosure
As you can see ABBA had a fair bit of success during the 70’s and 80’s. They had number 1 singles worldwide but only one in the US with Dancing Queen.
Did this post bring back some memories for you? If yes leave a comment below and let me know what your favourite ABBA song was. Maybe you saw them in concert. It would great if you shared your experience with us.
If you enjoyed this post, could you pop over to my facebook page please and click the like button. I am trying to build up a community of people who love this decade of music.
I want to get people together to share their memories of the music, their favourite artists and songs of the 70’s. We all have those memories and they come flooding back to you when you hear certain songs don’t they?
Have you ever wondered if you could make money online blogging about your passion or hobby? Find out how.