There were only 14 number one songs in 1978. Mull of Kintyre was still number one from the previous year all through January. Althea and Donna with Uptown Top Ranking was the first new number one of the year. The year ended with Mary’s Boy Child by Boney M at number 1. They also had another chart topper with Rivers Of Babylon.
Number One Songs In 1978
Up Town Top Ranking – Althia And Donna
Figaro – Brotherhood Of Man
Take A Chance On Me – Abba
Wuthering Heights – Kate Bush
Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs – Brian and Michael
Night Fever – Bee Gees
Rivers Of Babylon – Boney M
You’re The One That I Want – John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John
Three Times A Lady – Commodores
Dreadlock Holiday – 10cc
Summer Nights – John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John
Rat Trap – Boomtown Rats
Da Ya Think I’m Sexy – Rod Stewart
Mary’s Boy Child – Oh My Lord – Boney M
- 4th Feb – Up Town Top Ranking – Althia And Donna – 1 week
- 11th Feb – Figaro – Brotherhood Of Man – 1 week
- 18th Feb – Take A Chance On Me – Abba – 3 weeks
- 11th Mar – Wuthering Heights – Kate Bush – 4 weeks
- 8th Apr – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs – Brian and Michael – 3 weeks
- 29th April – Night Fever – Bee Gees – 2 weeks
- 13th May – Rivers Of Babylon – Boney M – 5 weeks
- 17th June – You’re The One That I Want – John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John – 9 weeks
- 19th Aug – Three Times A Lady – Commodores – 5 weeks
- 23rd Sep – Dreadlock Holiday – 10cc – 1 week
- 30th Sep – Summer Nights – John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John – 7 weeks
- 18th Nov – Rat Trap – Boomtown Rats – 2 weeks
- 2nd Dec – Da Ya Think I’m Sexy – Rod Stewart – 1 week
- 9th Dec – Mary’s Boy Child – Oh My Lord – Boney M – 4 weeks
There are affiliate links in this post, if you click the link and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no cost to you. See affiliate disclosure.
I am trying to build up a community of people who love this decade of music.
I want to get people together to share their memories of the music, their favourite artists and songs of the 70’s. We all have those memories and they come flooding back to you when you hear certain songs don’t they?
P.S. I am currently doing a virtual walk for Prostate Cancer UK, I am doing the length of Route 66 which is 2,278 miles long. I am asking people who donate to help me build my playlist for my walks. If you would like to donate and help me build my playlist please click here. Thanks in advance.
P.P.S 70s music would be best of course but I listen to a bit of 80s too:)