I have also decided to add the songs of the other 2 Beatles George Harrison and Ringo Starr. Underneath John’s list.
John Winston Lennon was born on October 9th 1940 in Liverpool and died on the 8th December 1980 aged 40. His work with the Beatles was well documented see above.
Despite a legendary career with the Beatles and as a solo artist, John Lennon remains underrated for his guitar playing skills. I read a great piece about John’s rhythm guitar playing on the Beginner Guitar HQ check it out it is a great read.
Before the Beatles split John had a couple of songs in the charts and a whole lot more after, So here are the songs of the great man.
John Lennon Discography
I will do this list in the usual order. Song title, year of release and chart position reached here in the UK and where applicable in the US chart.
- Give Peace a Chance (1969) (2) (14)
- Cold Turkey (1969) (12) (30)
- Instant Karma (1970) (5) (3)
- Power To The People (1971) (6) (11)
- Imagine (1971) Not released in UK reached no.3 in the US
- Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (2) (42)
- Mind Games (1973) (26) (18)
- Whatever Gets You Thru The Night (1974) (36) (1)
- #9 Dream (1974) (23) (9)
- Stand By Me (1974) (30) (20)
- Imagine (1975) (6)
- (Just Like) Starting Over (1980) (1) (1)
- Woman (1981) (1) (2)
- Imagine (1981) (1)
- Watching The Wheels (1981) (30) (10)
- I Saw Her Standing There (1981) (40)
- Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (1981) (28)
- Love (1982) (41)
- Nobody Told Me (1984) (6) (5)
- Borrowed Time (1984) (32)
- Imagine (1999) (3)
- Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (2003) (33)
The song I Saw Her Standing There was (Elton John Band feat. John Lennon and the Muscle Shoals Horns)
John had 8 studio albums in the top 20 here in the UK. I will list album title, year released and chart position reached in the UK and US.
- John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970) (8) (6)
- Imagine (1971) (1) (1)
- Some Time In New York City (with Yoko Ono) (1972) (11) (48)
- Mind Games (1973) (13) (9)
- Walls And Bridges (1974) (6) (1)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll (1975) (6) (6)
- Double Fantasy (with Yoko Ono) (1980) (1) (1)
- Milk and Honey (with Yoko Ono) (1984) (3) (11)
Same order as above, song title, year released and chart position reached in the UK and US
- Shaved Fish (1975) (8) (12)
- The John Lennon Collection (1982) (1) (33)
- Imagine: John Lennon (1988) (64) (31)
- Lennon Legend: The Very Best Of John Lennon (1997) (4) (65)
- Working Class Hero: The Definitive John Lennon (2005) (11) (135)
- Power To The People: The Hits (2010) (15) (24)
George Harrison Songs List
George Harrison was born on the 25th February 1943 and died on 29th November 2001 aged 58. After the Beatles split he had 10 top 40 hits singles in the UK, 8 top 40 studio albums, a number 1 live album and a greatest hits album that reached number 4 in 2009.
Here is a list of the singles. As usual song title first, year of release and chart position reached in the UK and the US if applicable.
- My Sweet Lord (1970) (1) (1)
- What is Life (1971) no. 10 in US
- Bangladesh (1971) (10) (23)
- Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (1973) (8) (1)
- Dark Horse (1974) No. 15 in US
- Ding Dong, Ding Dong (1974) (38) (36)
- You (1975) (38) (20)
- This Song (1976) No. 25 in US
- Crackerbox Palace (1977) No.19 in US
- Blow Away (1979) (51) (16)
- All Those Years Ago (1981) (13) (2)
- Got My Mind Set On You (1987) (2) (1)
- When We Was Fab (1988) (25) (23)
- My Sweet Lord (re-issue) (2002) (1) (94)
- Any Road (2003) (37)
Here is a list of the albums. As usual song title first, year of release and chart position reached in the UK and the US if applicable.
- All Things Must Pass (1970) (1) (1)
- The Concert For Bangladesh (1972 UK) (1971 US) (1) (2)
- Living In The Material world (1973) (2) (1)
- Dark Horse (1974) No. 4 in the US
- Extra Texture (Read All About It) (1975) (16) (8)
- Thirty Three & 1/3 (1976) (35) (11)
- George Harrison (1979) (39) (14)
- Somewhere In England (1981) (13) (11)
- Cloud Nine (1987) (10) (8)
- Brainwashed (2002) (29) (18)
- Let It Roll: Songs By George Harrison (2009) (4) (24)
In 1988 he co-founded The Travelling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison. They had a couple of albums, Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 with all 5 members in 1988 which reached no.16 in the UK and No.3 in the US album charts.
Their 2nd album recorded in 1990 featured 4 of the band as Roy Orbison had sadly died of a heart attack in December 1988. They intentionally misnumbered the album and called it Traveling Wilburys Vol.3. The album reached no.14 in the UK and No. 11 in the US.
Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne are the only two surviving members of the original band.
Richard Starkey(Ringo Starr) was born on the 7th July 1940. Ringo had 5 top 30 singles in the UK, 3 top 30 studio albums and 1 greatest hits album that made no.26 in the album charts in the UK
- It Don’t Come Easy (1971) (4) (4)
- Back Of Boogaloo (1972) (2) (9)
- Photograph (1973) (8) (1)
- You’re Sixteen (1973) (4) (1)
- Only You (And You Alone) (1974) (28) (6)
- Sentimental Journey (1970) (7) (22)
- Ringo (1973) (7) (2)
- Goodnight Vienna (1974) (30) (8)
- Photograph: The Very Best Of Ringo Starr (2007) (26)
A little known fact about Ringo is that he did the narration between 1984-1986 of the children’s tv series Thomas & Friends. The series is built around Thomas The Tank Engine books written by Reverand W, Awtry. You must have seen it or made to watch it by your children or grandchildren. I have, only last week actually:)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This Post Contains Affiliate Links. If You Click Through And Make A Purchase, I May Earn A Commission At No Cost To You.
I hope you found this post useful and you found what you wanted regarding John Lennon with the addition of George Harrison and Ringo Starr’s songs too. As I said at the beginning I did another post on Paul McCartney and Wings Songs.
They all had a few hits after they split, but they could never better the success they had when they were together in the 60’s.
If you liked this post leave a comment below, perhaps you went to see one of the 3 in concert. Let me know how it went I would love to know.
If you enjoyed this post, connect with me and the other members over on my facebook group.
I am trying to build up a community of people who love this decade of music.
I want to get people together to share their memories of the music, their favourite artists and songs of the 70’s. We all have those memories and they come flooding back to you when you hear certain songs don’t they?
Thanks for visiting today.