As I was doing my research on Olivia Newton John songs I was surprised how many hits she had here in the UK.
Olivia Newton-John was born on 26 September 1948 in Cambridge in the UK. When she was six her family moved to Melbourne Australia. This is why a lot of people think she is Australian.
Olivia recorded her first single, “Till You Say You’ll Be Mine”, in Britain for Decca Records in 1966. It was not until 1971 that Olivia had her first chart success in the UK with If Not For You a Bob Dylan song which reached number 7 in the singles chart.
In 1974, Newton-John represented the United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest with the song “Long Live Love”. The song was chosen for Newton-John by the British public out of six possible entries. She finished fourth at the event held in Brighton. 1974 was the year Abba won with Waterloo.
Olivia’s career soared when she starred in Grease in 1978. The soundtrack to the film became one of the biggest selling albums ever. The film’s soundtrack provided Olivia with 3 hit singles. You’re The One That I Want with John Travolta got to number one in the UK. Hopelessly Devoted To You reached number 2 and finally Summer Nights again with John Travolta also hit the top of the charts.
Olivia Newton John Songs – The Singles
Olivia Newton John had 11 top 40 singles in the UK in the 70s. I will list them below with the song title the year it made the chart and the position reached here in the UK and if applicable the US.
- If Not For You (1971) (7) (25)
- Banks Of The Ohio (1971) (6)
- What Is Life (1972) (16)
- Take Me Home, Country Roads (1973) (15)
- Long Live Love (1974) (11)
- I Honestly Love You (1974) (22) (1)
- Sam (1977) (6) (20)
- You’re The One That I Want(with John Travolta (1978) (1) (1)
- Hopelessly Devoted To You (1978) (2) (3)
- Summer Nights(with John Travolta (1978) (1) (5)
- A Little More Love (1978) (4) (3)
After The 70s
- Magic (1980) (32) (1)
- Xanadu(with Electric Light Orchestra) (1980) (1) (8)
- Suddenly(with Cliff Richard) (15) (20)
- Physical (1981) (1)
- Landslide (1982) (18)
- The Grease Megamix(with John Travolta) (1990) (3)
- Had To Be (with Cliff Richard) (1995) (22)
- You’re The One That I Want (Martian Remix) (with John Travolta) (1998) (4)
Olivia Newton John Songs – The Albums
- Let Me Be There (1973) (37)
- Long Live Love (1974) (40)
- Have You Never Been Mellow (1975) (37)
- Olivia Newton-John Greatest Hits (1977) (19) (13)
- Grease(with John Travolta) (1978) (1) (1)
- Totally Hot (1978) (30)
- Xanadu(with Electric Light Orchestra) (1980) (2) (4)
- Physical (1981) (11)
- Olivia’s Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1982) (8) (16)
- Back To Basics: The Essential Collection 1971-1992 (1992) (12)
- Gaia: One Woman’s Journey (1994) (33)
- The Definitive Collection (2001) (11)
- Indigo: Woman Of Song (2004) (27)
There are affiliate links in this post, if you click the link and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no cost to you. This helps towards paying the costs of running this site. Thank You. See affiliate disclosure.
Olivia Newton-John – The Definitive Collection
Let’s have a look at one of Olivia’s greatest hits albums. The Definitive Collection.
- “You’re the One That I Want”
- “I Honestly Love You”
- “Hopelessly Devoted to You”
- “I Need Love”
- “A Little More Love”
- “Summer Nights”
- “What Is Life”
- “Heart Attack”
- “Make a Move on Me”
- “Have You Never Been Mellow”
- “Deeper Than the Night”
- “Banks of the Ohio”
- “Take Me Home, Country Roads”
- “Long Live Love”
- “If Not For You”
- “Grease Megamix”
In January 2021, Newton-John released a new single, “Window in the Wall”, a duet about unity which she recorded with her daughter Chloe Lattanzi. The music video for the song peaked at #1 on the iTunes pop music video chart the week of its release.
Sadly Olivia Newton-John passed away on 8 August 2022 at age 73 at her home in the Santa Ynez Valley of California after a long battle with cancer.
That’s it for Olivia Newton-John songs, I hope you enjoyed the content in this post. If you did, please leave a comment below and let me know your favourite song by Olivia. It would be great to hear from you.
If you get a minute could you please pop over to my Facebook Page and join us. I plan to build this page this year as I have more time on my hands since retiring. I am trying to get people to share their favourite 70s music. As you know we do not all like the same songs and it would be great to hear page members favourite 70s songs. I hope to see you there soon.
Thanks For Visiting Today. Make sure you come back as I build the site, leave a comment below if there is any singer or group you think I should add to the site.
Keep listening to that 70s music.