Welcome to this post featuring Gilbert O’Sullivan Songs. I will give a bit of history of Gilbert then add a list of his singles and albums.
Raymond Edward O’Sullivan
Gilbert O’Sullivan was born Raymond Edward O’Sullivan in 1946 in Ireland. His moved to Swindon in England when he was 7 years old. When he was older he attended Swindon art college studying graphic design.
There was something else Raymond loved and that was music. He joined some local bands as a drummer/vocalist. That is when he started writing his own songs. It is said his writing influence were The Beatles as writers and Bob Dylan as a performer.
He released a couple of songs as Gilbert and as we all remember he had a distinctive style, with the flat cap and weird haircut. These singles made no impact but he did not give up. He decided to send a demo tape to the manager of Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdink, whose name was Gordon Mills. He became his manager after being impressed with his song writing. The resulting first single Nothing Rhymed got to number 8 in 1970.
Gilbert O’Sullivan Singles
Gilbert had 15 top 40 singles in the UK between 1970 and 1980 with 2 number one songs.
I will name the song, the year released and position reached in the UK and if applicable the US.
- Nothing Rhymed (1970) (8)
- Underneath The Blanket Go (1971) (40)
- We Will (1971) (16)
- No Matter How I Try (1971) (5)
- Alone Again (Naturally) (1972) (3) (1)
- Ooh- Wakka-Doo-Wakka-Day (1972) (8)
- Clair (1972) (1) (2)
- Out Of The Question (1973) No.17 in the US
- Get Down (1973) (1) (7)
- Ooh, Baby (1973) (18) (25)
- Why, Oh Why, Oh Why (1973) (6)
- Happiness Is Me And You (1974) (19) (62)
- A Woman’s Place (1974) (42)
- Christmas Song (1974) (12)
- I Don’t Love You But I Think I Like You (1975) (14)
- What’s In A Kiss (1980) (19)
Gilbert O’Sullivan Albums
Gilbert has had 7 top 20 albums to date. Yes he is still releasing albums!
I will name the album, the year released, chart position reached in the UK and where applicable the US
- Himself (1971) (5) (9)
- Back To Front (1972) (1) (48)
- I’m A Writer, Not A Fighter (1973) (2) (101)
- A Stranger In MY Own Back Yard (1974) (9)
- Greatest Hits (1976) (13)
- The Berry Vest Of Gilbert O’Sullivan (2004) (20)
- Gilbert O’Sullivan (2018) (20)
Yes, number 6 was the correct spelling of the album, I have it in my collection.
The Berry Vest Of Gilbert O’Sullivan
Let’s have a look at Gilbert’s greatest hits album with the strange play of words in the title. Here is the track listing of the album.
- Nothing Rhymed
- Alone Again (Naturally)
- Get Down
- We Will (Gus Dudgeon re-mix)
- No Matter How I Try
- Out Of The Question
- Ooh Wakka Doo Wakka Day
- Why Oh Why Oh Why
- Who Was It
- Ooh Baby (radio mix)
- Miss My Love Today
- What’s In A Kiss
- So What
- Can’t Think Straight (duet with Peggy Lee)
- Doesn’t It Make You Sick (Mortar & Brick)
- Happiness Is You And Me
- Two’s Company (Three Is Allowed)
- What’s It All Supposed To Mean
- Mr Moody’s Garden (bonus track)
I just listened to this album as I wrote this post. It makes it easier to write when you are enjoying the music at the same time. A great album by the way.
Gilbert O’Sullivan Today
Gilbert is still performing and recording to this day, his last album which was self titled reached No.20 in the UK charts. He is touring at the moment and is coming to a place near me in October. I may take the wife for a night out, it should be good.