The Rolling Stones are as if you didn’t know already an english band who were formed in 1962 in London.
Their first line up was bandleader Brian Jones (guitar, harmonica, keyboards), Keith Richards (guitar and vocals), Mick Jagger (lead vocals, harmonica), Bill Wyman (bass guitar), Charlie Watts (drums) and Ian Stewart (piano). Stewart continued to work with the band as a contracted musician after being removed from the official line up in 1963. He worked with the band until his death in 1985.
Brian Jones left the band in 1969 a month before he was found drowned in 1969, Mick Taylor took his place and stayed with the band until 1974 when he left Ronnie Wood took and is still with the band to this day. When Bill Wyman left in 1993 Darryl Jones took over as touring bassist.
They had 14 hit singles in the 60’s, 6 hit singles in the 70’s and 4 hits in the 80’s, they have also had 4 other top 20 hits since then.
Rolling Stones Hit Singles Of The 60’s
This was undoubtedly the best decade singles wise for the band. They had 14 top 20 singles and 8 number 1 songs.in the 60’s. Here a list of their singles with song name, year of hit and position reached in the chart.
- I Wanna Be Your Man (1963) (12)
- Not Fade Away (1964) (3)
- It’s All Over Now (1964) (1)
- Little Red Rooster (1964) (1)
- The Last Time (1965) (1)
- (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (1965) (1)
- Get Off Of My Cloud (1965) (1)
- Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown (1966) (2)
- Paint It, Black (1966) (1)
- Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow (1966) (5)
- Let’s Spend The Night Together/Ruby Tuesday (1967) (3)
- We Love You/Dandelion (1967) (8)
- Jumping Jack Flash (1968) (1)
- Honky Tonk Woman (1969) (1)
The band also had 8 hit studio albums in this decade. Here are the albums in order of release.
- The Rolling Stones (1964) (1)
- The Rolling Stones No. 2 (1965) (1)
- Out Of Our Heads (1965) (2)
- Aftermath (1966) (1)
- Between The Buttons (1967) (3)
- Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967) (3)
- Beggar’s Banquet (1968) (3)
- Let It Bleed (1969) (1)
Hit Singles Of The 70’s
The band had 6 top 20 singles in the 70’s but none managed the top spot. Here is the list. As usual I have listed the song name, year of release and position reached in the charts.
- Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let It Rock (1971) (2)
- Tumbling Dice (1972) (5)
- Angie (1973) (5)
- It’s Only Rock And Roll (1974) (10)
- Fool To Cry (1976) (6)
- Miss You/Far Away Eyes (1978) (3)
The band also had 6 studio albums in the 70’s. 3 hit the top spot and the other 3 reached number 2.
- Sticky Fingers (1971) (1)
- Exile On Main Street (1972) (1)
- Goats Head Soup (1973) (1)
- It’s Only Rock And Roll (1974) (2)
- Black And Blue (1975) (2)
- Some Girls (1978) (2)
Hit Singles Of The 80’s
The Rolling Stones continued to release singles but only 8 have made the top twenty.
- Emotional Rescue (1980) (9)
- Start Me Up (1981) (7)
- Undercover Of The Night (1983) (11)
- Harlem Shuffle (1986) (13)
- Love Is Strong (1994) (14)
- Like A Rolling Stone (Live) (1995) (12)
- Sympathy For The Devil (remix) (2003) (14)
- Streets Of Love (2005) (15)
The band continued to release studio albums throughout the following decades. Here they are.
- Rescue (1980) (1)
- Tattoo You (1981) (2)
- Undercover (1983) (3)
- Dirty Work (1986) (4)
- Steel Wheels (1989) (2)
- Voodoo Lounge (1994) (1)
- Bridges To Babylon (1997) (6)
- A Bigger Bang (2005) (2)
- Blue & Lonesome (2016) (1)
They also had 7 live albums that made the top 20 in the charts.
- Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! The Rolling Stones In Concert. (1970) (1)
- Love You Live (1977) (3)
- Still Life (1982) (4)
- Flashpoint (1991) (6)
- Stripped (1995) (9)
- Shine A Light (2008) (2)
- Sweet Summer Sun (2013) (16)
Rolling Stones Greatest Hits
The Rolling Stones also released many greatest hits albums over the years my favourite was Forty Licks which reached number 2 in 2002.
Let’s have a look at the track list.
- Street Fighting Man
- Gimme Shelter
- (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
- The Last Time
- Jumpin’ Jack Flash
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want
- 19th Nervous Breakdown
- Under My Thumb
- Not Fade Away
- Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows
- Sympathy For The Devil
- Mother’s Little Helper
- She’s A Rainbow
- Get Off Of My Cloud
- Wild Horses
- Ruby Tuesday
- Paint It Black
- Honky Tonk Woman
- It’s All Over Now
- Let’s Spend The Night Together
- Start Me Up
- Brown Sugar
- Miss You
- Beast Of Burden
- Don’t Stop
- You Got Me Rocking
- Fool To Cry
- Love Is Strong
- Mixed Emotions
- Keys To Your Love
- Anybody Seen My Baby?
- Stealing My Heart
- Tumbling Dice
- Undercover Of The Night
- Emotional Rescue
- It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It)
- Losing My Touch
As you can see this album covers a fair part of their career, including The Rolling Stones hit singles.
“In November 2012, the Stones began their 50 & Counting… tour at London’s O2 Arena, where they were joined by Jeff Beck. At their second show in London Eric Clapton and Florence Welch joined the group onstage. Their third anniversary concert took place on 8 December at the Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York. The last two dates were at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, on 13 and 15 December. Bruce Springsteen and blues rock band the Black Keys joined the band on the final night. They also played two songs at 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief. The Stones played nineteen shows in the U.S. in spring 2013, before returning to the UK. They returned to Hyde Park in July, though it was not free like the 1969 concert. On 29 June, the band performed at the 2013 Glastonbury Festival.”
This was part of an article on wikipedia, here is a link to the full article.
If you enjoyed this post, could you pop over to my facebook page please and click the like button.
I am trying to build up a community of people who love this decade of music.
I want to get people together to share their memories of the music, their favourite artists and songs of the 70’s. We all have those memories and they come flooding back to you when you hear certain songs don’t they?