There were only 16 number one songs in 1976. Starting with Mamma Mia from Abba and ending with When A Child Is Born by Johnny Mathis as the christmas number 1. Abba had 3 chart toppers in 1976.
Number One Songs In 1976
Mamma Mia – Abba
Forever And Ever – Slik
December ’63 (Oh What A Night) – Four Seasons
I Love To Love ( But My Baby Loves To Dance) – Tina Charles
Save Your Kisses For Me – Brotherhood Of Man
Fernando – Abba
No Charge – J.J. Barrie
Combine Harvester ( Brand New Key) – Wurzels
You To Me Are Everything – Real Thing
The Roussos Phenomenon (EP) – Demis Roussos
Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Elton John and Kiki Dee
Dancing Queen – Abba
Mississippi – Pussycat
If You Leave Me Now – Chicago
Under The Moon Of Love – Showaddywaddy
When A Child Is Born – Johnny Mathis
- 31st Jan – Mamma Mia – Abba – 2 weeks
- 14th Feb – Forever And Ever – Slik – 1 week
- 21st Feb – December ’63 (Oh What A Night) – Four Seasons – 2 weeks
- 6th Mar – I Love To Love ( But My Baby Loves To Dance) – Tina Charles – 3 weeks
- 27th Mar – Save Your Kisses For Me – Brotherhood Of Man – 6 weeks
- 8th May – Fernando – Abba – 4 weeks
- 5th June – No Charge – J.J. Barrie – 1 week
- 12th June – Combine Harvester ( Brand New Key) – Wurzels – 2 weeks
- 26th June – You To Me Are Everything – Real Thing – 3 weeks
- 17th July – The Roussos Phenomenon (EP) – Demis Roussos – 1 week
- 24th July – Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Elton John and Kiki Dee – 6 weeks
- 4th Sep – Dancing Queen – Abba – 6 weeks
- 16th Oct – Mississippi – Pussycat – 4 weeks
- 13th Nov – If You Leave Me Now – Chicago – 3 weeks
- 4th Dec – Under The Moon Of Love – Showaddywaddy – 3 weeks
- 25th Dec – When A Child Is Born – Johnny Mathis – 3 weeks
There are affiliate links in this post, if you click the link and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no cost to you. See affiliate disclosure.
If you enjoyed this post on the number one songs in 1976, could you pop over to my facebook page and click the like button please. You will then be able to see when I add my latest posts. Thanks in advance. Music Of The 70s facebook page.
I am trying to build up a community of people who love this decade of music.
I want to get people together to share their memories of the music, their favourite artists and songs of the 70’s. We all have those memories and they come flooding back to you when you hear certain songs don’t they?