The Eagles are an American rock band formed in 1971 who had amazing success in the US. They had 5 number 1 singles and 6 number 1 albums there. Here in the UK their chart success single wise was limited with 5 singles making the top 25, they also had 4 top 10 albums, 1 live album that made number 18 and 5 greatest hits album made the top 10 over the years.
The original members of the band were Glenn Frey (guitar and vocals), Don Henley (drums and vocals), Bernie Leadon (guitar and vocals) and Randy Meisner (bass guitar and vocals).
Best Eagles Songs – The Singles
My list of the best Eagles songs from the 70’s will consist of song names, year released, position reached in the charts in the US, plus if applicable chart position reached in the UK.
- Take It Easy (1972) (12)
- Witchy Woman (1972) (9)
- Peaceful Easy Feeling (1972) (22)
- Tequila Sunrise (1973) (64)
- Outlaw Man (1973) (59)
- Already Gone (1974) (32)
- James Dean (1974) (77)
- Best Of My Love (1974) (1)
- One Of These Nights (1975) (1) (23)
- Lyin’ Eyes (1975) (2) (23)
- Take It To The Limit (1975) (4) (12)
- New Kid In Town (1976) (1) ( 20)
- Hotel California (1977) (1) (8)
- Life In The Fast Lane (1977) (11)
- Please Come Home For Christmas (1978) (18) (30)
- Heartache Tonight (1979) (1) (40)
- The Long Run (1979) (8) (66)
- I Can’t Tell You Why (1980) (8)
- Seven Bridges Road (1980) (21)
Seven Bridges Road was the last single to make the top 30 in the US.
The studio albums list will consist of song names, year released, position reached in the charts in the US, plus if applicable chart position reached in the UK.
- Eagles (1972) (22)
- Desperado (1973) (41) (39)
- On The Border (1974) (17) (28)
- One Of These Nights (1975)
- Hotel California (1976) (1) (2)
- The Long Run (1979) (1) (4)
- Long Road Out Of Eden (2007) (1) (1)
- Eagles Live (1980) (6) (24)
- Hell Freezes Over (1994) (1) (18)
Greatest Hits Albums
- Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) (1976) (1) (2)
- Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol 2 (1982) (52)
- The Best Of Eagles (1985) (8 in the UK)
- The Very Best Of The Eagles (1994) (4 in the UK)
- The Very Best Of The Eagles (2001) (3 in the UK)
- The Very Best Of / The Complete Greatest Hits (2003) (3) (9)
Let’s take a look at the tracklist of final greatest hits album to make the charts in both countries.
The Very Best Of / The Complete Greatest Hits
- Take It Easy
- Witchy Woman
- Peaceful Easy Feeling
- Tequila Sunrise
- Already Gone
- Best Of My Love
- James Dean
- Ol’ ’55
- Midnight Flyer
- On The Border
- Lyin’ Eyes
- One Of These Nights
- Take It To The Limit
- After The Thrill Has Gone
- Hotel California
- Life In The Fast Lane
- Wasted Time
- Victim Of Love
- The Last Resort
- New Kid In Town
- Please Come Home For Christmas
- Heartache Tonight
- The Sad Cafe
- I Can’t Tell You Why
- The Long Run
- In The City
- Those Shoes
- Seven Bridges Road (live)
- Love Will Keep Us Alive
- Get Over It
- Hole In The World
When the band split up in 1980 Glen Frey and Don Henley had a couple of solo hits here in the UK.
The Heat Is On in 1985 reached number 2 in the US and number 12 in the UK
Smugglers Blues also in 1985 reached number 12 in the US and number 22 in the UK
Glen also had 4 other US singles that made the top 20
- The One You Love (1982) (15)
- Sexy Girl (1984) (20)
- You Belong To The City (1985) (2)
- True Love (1988) (13)
This Don Henley list will consist of song names, year released, position reached in the charts in the US, plus if applicable chart position reached in the UK.
- Dirty Laundry (1982) (3) (59)
- The Boys Of Summer (5) (12)
- All She Wants To Do Is Dance (1985) (9)
- Sunset Girl (1985) (22)
- The End Of The Innocence (8) (48)
I must mention Joe Walsh here as he was with the band when I saw them in 1994 (see below). He joined Eagles in 1975 after the departure of Bernie Leadon. His only top 20 hit in the UK was Life’s Been Good which reached number 14 in the UK and number12 in the US. It was a cracking song though.
Hell Freezes Over Tour
The Eagles broke up in 1980 but got back together to make the Hell Freezes Over album in 1994, the album was called this because whenever they were asked when they would get back together again they always said when hell freezes over. They then embarked on a Hell Freezes over tour between 1994-1996, my wife Gill and I were lucky enough to see them on this tour at Murryfield Stadium Edinburgh Scotland on the 8th April 1996. What a night.
The line up was
Glenn Frey: guitar, piano, vocals
Don Henley: drums, vocals
Joe Walsh: guitar, vocals
Don Felder: guitar, vocals
Timothy B. Schmit: bass, vocals
Victim Of Love
New Kid In Town
Pretty Maids All In A Row
The Girl From Yesterday
I Can’t Tell You Why
Ordinary Average Guy
One Of These Nights
Silent Spring / Tequila Sunrise
Help Me Through the Night
Heart of the Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
You Belong to the City
The Boys of Summer
Life’s Been Good
All She Wants to Do Is Dance
Life in the Fast Lane
Get Over It
Rocky Mountain Way
Take It Easy
Thanks to Eagles Online for this information.
There are affiliate links in this post, if you click the link and make a purchase i will make a commission. See full disclosure
I hope you enjoyed your trip down memory lane with this post on the Best Eagles Songs. If you have leave a comment below, maybe you have seen them recently on their current tour. Perhaps like me you saw them years ago on one of their tours. What about your favourite Eagles song, my is probably Take It Easy.
If you enjoyed this post, could you pop over to my facebook page please and click the like button.
I am trying to build up a community of people who love this decade of music.
I want to get people together to share their memories of the music, their favourite artists and songs of the 70’s. We all have those memories and they come flooding back to you when you hear certain songs don’t they?
Have you ever wondered if you could make money online blogging about your passion or hobby? Find out how.